Jenks Toddler Found Unresponsive Ingested Pain Killer, Report - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

News

Jenks Toddler Found Unresponsive Ingested Pain Killer, Report Says

Posted: Updated:
A local pediatrician said that means the boy probably ingested an extremely high dosage of pain medicine. A local pediatrician said that means the boy probably ingested an extremely high dosage of pain medicine.
Police reports say "multiple prescription pill bottles" and pills were "strewn all over the floor." A pill was also found on the boy's crib. Police reports say "multiple prescription pill bottles" and pills were "strewn all over the floor." A pill was also found on the boy's crib.
Ginger Boggs, or Rolan (left) and Amy Latimer. Ginger Boggs, or Rolan (left) and Amy Latimer.
TULSA, Oklahoma -

A Tulsa pediatrician said overdosing on painkillers could have lasting effects on children.

According to police reports, an 18-month-old found in Jenks this week was "breathing funny."

A local pediatrician said that means the boy probably ingested an extremely high dosage of pain medicine.

Jenks police are still piecing together what led to 48-year-old Allen Lykins death and the discovery of lethargic 18-month-old Kyzen Thompson.

Both were found in a room at Shelby Place Apartments.

Thompson was in the care of his grandmother, Ginger Boggs, who goes by Ginger Rolan, 51. She was arrested, along with another woman who lived in the home, Amy Latimer, 39.

4/26/2013 Related Story: Jenks Family Member Speaks Out After Toddler Hospitalized, 2 Women Arrested

Both women were booked into jail on complaints of child neglect and are each being held in lieu of $50,000 bond.

Police reports reveal "multiple prescription pill bottles" were also in the room and pills were "strewn all over the floor."

A pill was also found in the toddler's crib.

"It's a horribly sad thing," local pediatrician Dr. Don Zetik said. "In a case like this, none of us know what happened, but at the very, very least, there was medication that was not properly protected."

According to the report, the boy's grandmother, Rolan, told police the kid may have swallowed Lortab.

Zetik said an 18-month-old boy would probably be safe with one to 2 milligrams of Lortab.

The smallest Lortab tablet comes in 5 milligrams.

04/25/2013 Related Story: Jenks Grandmother, Another Woman Jailed For Child Neglect, Toddler In ICU

"The window between good treatment dose and toxic dose is very small, so we're always cautious," Zetik said.

Police said Rolan "did not seek medical attention" until the boy was "unresponsive and near death."

They also said she did not tell investigators that the child may have ingested a pain pill.

Doctors said anyone who suspects a child has overdosed should call 911 immediately.

"You don't even know at that point if they're having the full effect of the medication or perhaps if it's still in their system, still metabolizing," Zetik said. "Things could get much worse before they get better."

Zetik said overdosing on Lortab could cause liver damage.

Special Features

Community Calendar

Find out what's going on around town and submit events!

Share

See it! Shoot it! Send it! Share your weather pics and videos with NewsOn6.com!

iPhone App

Get breaking news, weather, sports & video directly on your iPhone.

Mobile Alerts

Get breaking news, headlines, weather alerts & more on your cell phone.

TV Schedule

Need to know what's on TV? Check out our television schedule.

Live Radar

WARN Interactive
Powered by WorldNow
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
TULSA'S OWN TM
GREEN COUNTRY'S OWN TM
Oklahoma's Own Newson6.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state including Tulsa's Own and Green Country's Own.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014, WorldNow and KOTV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.