Chemical Cloud Billows Out Over SW Tulsa - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Chemical Cloud Billows Out Over SW Tulsa

Posted: Updated:
The chemical vapor was released at Enviroserve, a hazardous waste management company. The chemical vapor was released at Enviroserve, a hazardous waste management company.
Tulsa firefighters donned hazmat suits for the chemical reaction call. Tulsa firefighters donned hazmat suits for the chemical reaction call.
Firefighters, police officers and local residents were treated for chemical inhalation. Firefighters, police officers and local residents were treated for chemical inhalation.

The News On 6

TULSA, OK -- Several southwest Tulsa residents, firefighters and police officers were treated for respiratory problems after a chemical cloud billowed out from Envirosolve, a hazardous waste management company located at 2120 Southwest Boulevard. The incident happened just after midnight Sunday.

Tulsa firefighters responding to the hazmat call found vapors coming from an 85-gallon drum containing sodium percarbonate, a chemical used in portable toilets and septic tanks.  It appears that an increase in humidity caused a reaction with the chemical and caused a vapor release, according to reports from the TFD.

The chemical cloud stayed close to the ground and spread southeast from the business. The vapors caused irritation to the eyes and nose, and several Tulsa fire crews were evaluated for these symptoms.

One Tulsa resident was transported by EMSA with respiratory complaints. Tulsa police officers providing traffic control in the area were also checked by paramedics but not transported. One Tulsa firefighter was transported to the hospital for heat related illness, the release states.

Hazmat crews worked for several hours to correct the hazardous situation. Wearing chemical protective clothing, firefighters worked inside the structure moving drums to gain access and stop the production of vapors.  Along with Envirosolve employees, the emergency workers were able to cool the containers down enough to stop the chemical reaction.

Residents in a nearby apartment complex as well as the emergency response crews were treated by EMSA paramedics in the incident.

Powered by WorldNow
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
TULSA'S OWN TM
GREEN COUNTRY'S OWN TM
Oklahoma's Own Newson6.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state including Tulsa's Own and Green Country's Own.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014, WorldNow and KOTV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.