Nick Huddleston Support Trust
Nick Huddleston is a 24 year old Hospice patient with Carter Healthcare & Hospice, who recently passed away on October 30th, 2009. At the age of 13, Nick was diagnosed with a rare bone vanishing disease known as Gorham Stout Disease. The following is a history of Nick's life from 13 to present.
- Age 13 – Nick was diagnosed with Gorham Stout Disease. Upon visiting the doctor, Nick was rushed into surgery. X-rays showed that Nick was missing 3 ribs from his left side and two vertebrae from his back. Nick had back surgery to correct the vertebrae, 3 days later Nick had to have another surgery because the screws, which were attached to his bones had fallen out, due to his bones being so weak. Nick would have one more back surgery about one week later, making this a total of 3 back surgeries within a matter of a few weeks.
- Nick spent 14 months in the Children's Medical Center in Tulsa. Due to Nicks' condition, Nick was put on a ventilator.
- After being released from the Children's Medical Center, Nick went home to Bartlesville. For the first three years, Nick was able to ambulate with the use of a wheelchair. After sometime, the doctors told him due to his condition and the fact that x-rays now revealed he was missing 3 more ribs; he would be confined to the bed. For the past 6 years, Nick has not been able to sit up, stand or go outside, unless he was going to the hospital. Nick has spent numerous hours and has made numerous trips in and out of the hospital. Most of his visits were due to fighting pneumonia.
- Nick was so young when this happened. Nick has not lived a normal kids life, nor a normal teenager's life or young adult life.
- Nick doesn't know what it's like to get his license at 16 & drive his first car.
- Nick doesn't know what it's like to hang out with his buddy's up at the local hamburger joint or pizza place on a Friday evening.
- Nick doesn't know what it's like to go out for the first job interview and experience the joy of receiving that first pay check.
- Due to Nick's diagnosis, the medical bills that Nicks' family have received after insurance is in the thousands. One bill is for $60,000 and another for $38,000. This is just two bills. Nicks father has some health issues and is on disability, while his mother works as a cook in a hospital in their home town. With all of the expenses that this family has accrued driving back and forth from Bartlesville to Bixby, food, gas, etc., the Huddleston's are on the brink of filing Medical Bankruptcy.
A Trust fund has been set up through Spirit Bank. A family member stepped in to help cover the funeral expenses. Nicks parents desire to purchase a head stone for Nicks burial plot. All contributions can be made to the:
Nick Huddleston Support Trust at any Spirit Bank Branch.
You can make a difference today by contributing to the need of this wonderful family.