Tulsa Fire: Cause Of Deadly House Fire Was Faulty Wiring - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Tulsa Fire: Cause Of Deadly House Fire Was Faulty Wiring

Posted: Updated:
The home is located in the 2200 block of South Gary. The home is located in the 2200 block of South Gary.
The victim was rushed to a Tulsa hospital where Tulsa Fire says she died. The victim was rushed to a Tulsa hospital where Tulsa Fire says she died.
Tulsa Fire says the victim was found near the front door of the home. Tulsa Fire says the victim was found near the front door of the home.

By Latoya Silmon, The News On 6

TULSA, OK -- The Tulsa Fire Department blames bad wiring for a house fire that killed a 71-year-old woman early Thursday morning.

Tulsa firefighters were called to a house fire in the 2200 block of South Gary shortly before 5 a.m. Thursday. 

Ed Gilpin was on his paper route when he saw fire coming from the home. 

"So I beat on the door and heard no response.  Rang the doorbell and no response so I called 911 so the FD could get out here as quickly as possible," said Ed Gilpin. 

Tulsa firefighters arrived a few minutes later. 

They found Eleanor Jordan near the front door barely clinging to life. 

"They will probably try to get to the front door.  Problem is when you're talking about breathing hot smoke in air 3 or 400 degrees your body can't withstand a breath or two and you're going to go unconscious," said Tulsa Fire District Chief Bill French. 

Firefighters and EMSA performed CPR on Eleanor's front lawn. 

The mother of four died a short time later at a Tulsa hospital. 

Her son Tin Jordan says she meant the world to him. 

"She's a very devoted Christian person and very caring person, very loving person.  She was my adoptive mother," said Tin Jordan. 

He says the loss is unbearable, adding the two were looking forward to the holidays. 

"Anytime of the day anytime of the year.  It's a sad story.  It's like I'm stabbed through the heart right now," said Tin Jordan. 

It's a tragedy, but one we can all learn from. 

Tulsa firefighters say anytime a fire breaks out at your home don't stand, instead get low and crawl to the nearest exit.  They say that could have made all the difference here.

Tulsa Fire investigators believe an electrical problem caused the fire. Jordan did have a smoke detector, but firefighters found it on the floor of the home without a battery in it.

Powered by Frankly
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
Newson6.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 KOTV. Oklahoma Traveler™ is a registered trademark of Griffin Communications. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.