SAPULPA, OK -- Five Sapulpa students were treated after they admitted to taking prescription pain pills at school Tuesday.
None of them overdosed, and administrators say the hospitalizations were largely precautionary.
"When you've taken a prescription drug that's not for you, it can sometimes have serious consequences and we wanted to catch it early and quickly, and we did," said Dr. Mary Webb, Sapulpa Superintendent.
Webb says one of the students took the medication from a parent's medicine cabinet, brought it to school and shared the pills with classmates.
It is a scenario she says has become all too common at schools across Green Country and one that worries parents.
"It's a kind of scary thing you know. Once they leave campus, you lose control of them because you don't know what they're doing or where they're going," said Lou Ann McBriarty, parent.
Administrators hope this incident will send a message to any student who may considers bringing pills to campus.
"We're very concerned when something like this happens, and unfortunately it can happen at any time. Hopefully, this will be a warning to other students that it's not something to fool around with," Webb said.
When administrators at Sapulpa High School found out that a student had brought pills to school, they issued what they call an 'all-call', urging any students who had taken these pills, who weren't feeling well, to come forward.
They say a number of them did just that.
"For the most part very honest, especially when they make a mistake like this," Webb said.
That mistake could have even more repurcussions. Sapulpa police are investigating.
The Creek Nation Lighthorse Police has issued a Silver Alert for a Muskogee man who was last seen Tuesday afternoon.More >>
Major flooding occurred late last night across part of southeastern Kansas, especially in the Montgomery County near and north of Independence.More >>