From Tastefully Oklahoma, Recipes featuring Made in Oklahoma Products
4 ¾ - 5 ¼ c. Shawnee Best all-purpose flour, divided use
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2 pkgs. Dry active yeast
1 ½ c. Hiland buttermilk
¾ c. water
2 tbsp. Hiland or Braum's butter
1 c. cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tbsp. Hiland or Braum's milk
1. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix 1 ½ c. flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and undissolved dry active yeast.
2. Combine buttermilk, water and butter in saucepan. Heat over low heat until liquids are very warm (120 to 130 degrees F.)
3. Gradually add liquid mixture to dry ingredients; beat 1 minute with electric mixer at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1 cup flour. Beat at high speed for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in cheese and enough flour to make stiff dough.
5. Turn out onto a lightly floured board. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 7 to 10 minutes). Divide dough in half and shape into two round loaves.
6. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled (about 1 hour).
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
8. Mix egg and milk, then brush on loaves and bake 40 to 45 minutes or until done.
9. Place loaves on wire rack to cool.
Find out more about the Made In Oklahoma Cookbook which benefits area food banks to help feed Oklahoma's hungry.
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
Newson6.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.