Space Heater Blamed For Tulsa House Fire - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Space Heater Blamed For Tulsa House Fire

Posted: Updated:
Tulsa firefighters are seen at the house fire in the 3300 block of East King Street. Tulsa firefighters are seen at the house fire in the 3300 block of East King Street.
A woman and her grandson escaped unhurt but were displaced by the fire. A woman and her grandson escaped unhurt but were displaced by the fire.

NewsOn6.com

TULSA, Oklahoma -- Tulsa firefighters believe an electric space heater may be to blame for a fire that displaced a Tulsa family overnight Saturday. Just before 1 a.m. a Tulsa woman was awoken by her grandson who noticed smoke filling the house on the 3300 block of East King Street.

Both residents were able to make it out of the house without injuries. Firefighters confined the blaze to the bedroom where the space heater was running, but there was extensive smoke damage to the rest of the house.

Tulsa Fire District Chief Jim Long warned that people should be extremely cautious when using a space heater.

"Make sure that you don't have any flammables in the area around the space heater," Long said. "Don't leave it unattended. Don't leave it on when you're not at home. Just be very careful with it because they can be very dangerous."

The Tulsa Area Red Cross responded to the scene to help the family with food, clothes and a place to stay.

Powered by Frankly
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
Newson6.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KOTV. Oklahoma Traveler™ is a registered trademark of Griffin Communications. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.