Originally Published: Aug 14, 2009 9:24 PM CDT
Oklahoma Sports Staff Writer
NORMAN, Oklahoma -- With less than a week before the season begins, the Oklahoma Sooners could be down a linebacker. But not just a scrub linebacker.A player who was expected to contribute at one of the few questionable defensive positions for OU this season.
The NCAA de-certified the eligibility of second string middle linebacker Mike Balogun August 14th. It is the 26-year-old’s participation in the North American Football League and whether he participated in any games after the age of 21 in that league that is in question. If he participated in the league during any 12-month period after his 21st birthday, he would lose a season of collegiate eligibility.
Head Coach Bob Stoops says the situation shouldn’t have any effect on the Sooners 2008 season.
“From what I understand, the precedent in all this has been not to take any wins away or have anything to do with last year,” Stoops said. “He was certified last year. He’s decertified now, so nows the issue.”
Coach Stoops is now just thinking of his player’s future.
“We’re still hopeful that Mike will be eligible for this season, but we’ll have to see what happens over the coming days.”
The NCAA interviewed Balogun in 2008 and was aware of his participation in the leauge prior tolast season. The collegiate association reviewed Balogun’s information and certified him in May of 2008.
However, more information came to OU’s attention after the 2008 season, which the university shared with the NCAA.
“Our people have found some new information, so they’re trying to sort through that,” Stoops said. “That NCAA certified him last year, but now with this different information they may rethink it.”
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
Newson6.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.