Tulsa Firefighters Save Family's Christmas Presents - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Tulsa Firefighters Save Family's Christmas Presents

Posted: Updated:
Tulsa fire trucks parked in front of the home. Tulsa fire trucks parked in front of the home.
Tulsa firefighter on the home's room putting out the fire. Tulsa firefighter on the home's room putting out the fire.
Picture of the Christmas tree inside the home. Picture of the Christmas tree inside the home.
TULSA, Oklahoma -

Tulsa firefighters fight a small house fire early Friday morning and save the family's Christmas presents from going up in flames.

The north Tulsa home has a smiling snowman on the window, but burned boards on the roof. A fire just two days before Christmas.

But it could have been worse if a police officer hadn't noticed smoke while on patrol at about five in the morning.

"The officer was able to make a quick search, able to make quick entry, he did a search, found the house was vacant and immediately called us," said Tulsa Fire Captain Brian Lloyd.

Flames were shooting from the roof when firefighters got there. They knocked the flames down quickly. That's expected. But another thing they did... well, that's special.

"Being that it is almost Christmas, we rounded up all the Christmas presents, got them with a neighbor," Lloyd said.

The Christmas presents were right there under the tree, ready for a newlywed couples nieces and nephews, and for the excitement of Christmas morning.

During the excitement of fighting the flames, firefighters took the time to do something special.

"All of us have kids so the first thing we thought to do was round up their presents and try to get everything out from under the Christmas tree, so we can bring something positive out of all of this," Lloyd said.

The owners were away from the home at the time of the fire. They said experiencing a house fire is hard, but they say they're incredibly grateful firefighters saved their home and also salvaged their Christmas.

"At least get their presents to them and they can still have somewhat of a Christmas," Lloyd said.

At this point, firefighters believe it was caused by an electrical problem.

Special Features

Community Calendar

Find out what's going on around town and submit events!

Share

See it! Shoot it! Send it! Share your weather pics and videos with NewsOn6.com!

iPhone App

Get breaking news, weather, sports & video directly on your iPhone.

Mobile Alerts

Get breaking news, headlines, weather alerts & more on your cell phone.

TV Schedule

Need to know what's on TV? Check out our television schedule.

Live Radar

WARN Interactive
Powered by WorldNow
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
TULSA'S OWN TM
GREEN COUNTRY'S OWN TM
Oklahoma's Own Newson6.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state including Tulsa's Own and Green Country's Own.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014, WorldNow and KOTV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.