Smoke Detectors Save Family As Fire Guts Home Outside Of Kellyvi - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

News

Smoke Detectors Save Family As Fire Guts Home Outside Of Kellyville

Posted: Updated:
Kellyville and Sapulpa firefighters put out a house fire early Wednesday. Kellyville and Sapulpa firefighters put out a house fire early Wednesday.
The home was destroyed by fire. The home was destroyed by fire.
Firefighters drag a hose to the burning house. Firefighters drag a hose to the burning house.
Family members were able to escape safely. Family members were able to escape safely.
CREEK COUNTY, Oklahoma -

With the cold weather and people using fireplaces and heaters, firefighters are stressing how important it is for all of us to have working smoke detectors.

Smoke detectors are being credited with saving the lives of a family in Creek County when their home caught fire overnight.

It happened just off of Highway 33 West of Kellyville.

Firefighters from Kellyville and Sapulpa got the call about the house fire at about 3:30 a.m.

When they got there, flames were shooting from the house.

"Luckily, all the family got out and we praise the Lord for that," said neighbor, Pastor Jason Hutsell.

A couple and their three children, who were all sound asleep when the fire started, got out safely thanks to working smoke detectors.

"He told me he said he was lying asleep and his wife heard the detectors and got them up," Hutsell said.

Hutsell is the Pastor at Blue Bell Free Will Baptist Church, which is just down the road from the home, west of Kellyville.

As a good neighbor, the church is working to help replace some of the belongings lost in the fire.

"Anytime you see a family lose everything like that, it's just heartwrenching, heartbreaking," Hutsell said.

But Hutsell said it could have been even more tragic.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, 62 percent of fatal house fires nationwide happened in homes where there either weren't any smoke detectors or they weren't working.

In this fire, investigators are certain, the smoke detectors made a difference.

And Hutsell is thankful.

"We praise the Lord for that, that the detectors were working and they had them intact and was able to save everybody's lives," he said.

The cause hasn't been determined yet, but one possibility is it started in the fireplace chimney.

The family is staying with relatives.

Statistically, most house fires happen during the month of January, as the weather gets colder and more people heat their homes.

Special Features

Community Calendar

Find out what's going on around town and submit events!

Share

See it! Shoot it! Send it! Share your weather pics and videos with NewsOn6.com!

iPhone App

Get breaking news, weather, sports & video directly on your iPhone.

Mobile Alerts

Get breaking news, headlines, weather alerts & more on your cell phone.

TV Schedule

Need to know what's on TV? Check out our television schedule.

Live Radar

WARN Interactive
Powered by WorldNow
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
TULSA'S OWN TM
GREEN COUNTRY'S OWN TM
Oklahoma's Own Newson6.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state including Tulsa's Own and Green Country's Own.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014, WorldNow and KOTV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.