Parties Agree OK Storm Shelters Will Cost More Than $770 Million - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

NEWS: Politics

Parties Agree OK Storm Shelters Will Cost More Than $770 Million

Posted: Updated:
Now, TSO seeks a 75-25 split, and HJR-1092 seeks a one-time bond increase for school districts. Now, TSO seeks a 75-25 split, and HJR-1092 seeks a one-time bond increase for school districts.
OKLAHOMA CITY -

Both parties agree that the storm shelter project will cost more than $770 Million. To pay for the shelters, parties are looking at two proposals: Take Shelter Oklahoma (TSO) and HJR-1092, the bill Governor Fallin recently supported.

Now, TSO seeks a 75-25 split, and HJR-1092 seeks a one-time bond increase for school districts.

The majority or the state's 75% in TSO's plan will be paid for by the $500 Million franchise tax. HJR-1092 will allow districts to propose bonds only for school safety. TSO districts will pay for the remaining 25%. For HJR-1092, those safety bonds must pass in the districts with a 60% vote.

Bottom line...parents just want the shelters built.

"I don't want anyone to ever have to go through this again," Nicole Angle said.

Nicole Angle relived what she went through every single day.

"24/7...It keeps me up at night... It's everywhere," Angle said.

On May 20, 2013, Nicole lost her 9-year-old daughter at Plaza Towers Elementary.

"Her smile is really hard to be without...She's my baby," Angle said.

So all this talk about shelters has left Nicole looking for decisions.

"I sent three kids to school on May 20th, and I got two kids back," Angle said.

"There should be one united from fighting for the kids but the more the merrier," Angle added.

The newest plan to join the conversation was authored by Representatives Mark McBride and John Echols.

"What we're saying is you get to decide," Rep. Mark McBride and John Echols said. This is ssomething the representatives feel is not included in the other proposal.

"Every community has that option what it is they want to do," McBride and Echols added.

Angle wants a solution.

"Seven wasn't enough? Seven kids weren't enough... How many kids is this going to take," Angle said.

We reached out to the Moore school district, but they declined to comment on pending legislation. The session begins Monday.

Live Radar

ESP Interactive

Featured

  • PoliticalMore>>

  • With GOP runoff over, Perdue and Nunn face off

    With GOP runoff over, Perdue and Nunn face off

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 12:16 PM EDT2014-07-23 16:16:16 GMT
    Now that Georgia Republicans have settled on businessman David Perdue as their nominee for the state's open Senate seat, the real battle begins with a marquee match-up in the fall against Democrat Michelle Nunn...More >>
    Within hours of David Perdue's GOP Senate nomination, he and Democrat Michelle Nunn launched the real battle for Georgia's open Senate seat with attack ads and retail politicking in a match up that could help...More >>
  • Senate panel backs McDonald for VA secretary

    Senate panel backs McDonald for VA secretary

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 12:14 PM EDT2014-07-23 16:14:54 GMT
    The Senate Veterans Affairs Committee has endorsed former Procter & Gamble CEO Robert McDonald to be the new secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs.More >>
    The Senate Veterans Affairs Committee on Wednesday endorsed former Procter & Gamble CEO Robert McDonald to be the new secretary of Veterans Affairs.More >>
  • Senate bill targets companies that move overseas

    Senate bill targets companies that move overseas

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 12:11 PM EDT2014-07-23 16:11:54 GMT
    The Senate has advanced an election-year bill limiting tax breaks for U.S. companies that move operations overseas. But big hurdles remain.More >>
    The Senate voted Wednesday to advance an election-year bill limiting tax breaks for U.S. companies that move operations overseas. But big hurdles remain.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
TULSA'S OWN TM
GREEN COUNTRY'S OWN TM
Oklahoma's Own Newson6.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state including Tulsa's Own and Green Country's Own.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014, WorldNow and KOTV. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.