Carbon Monoxide Detector Saves Tulsa Family's Life, Firefighters Say
TULSA, Oklahoma - With the cold weather, heaters are cranked up, which means the chance of carbon monoxide poisoning increases greatly.
For one family, the levels were so high it could have been deadly, but a recently installed carbon monoxide detector saved their lives.
After it went off, the woman called 911 and Tulsa firefighters found levels inside were almost three times higher than what's considered safe.
Six children were eating dinner on West 54th Street South when the detector started beeping.
"Had the detector not have gone off, the family might have very well not have woke up the next morning,” TFD paramedic Mike Owens said.
When firefighters walked in the front door, they used a device to test the carbon monoxide levels inside.
Owens said anything which tests below 35 parts per million is considered safe.
"My detector showed 38 parts per million,” he said. “Once Hazmat got there and put it by the stove, it showed 100 parts per million."
The colorless, odorless gas was pouring from the stove and filling the home up fast. The family told firefighters they had just recently invested in a carbon monoxide detector.
“The wife wanted it installed, and the husband was kind of hesitant about it, but she's now letting him know that was the right decision," Owens said.
On Thursday, firefighters responded to another carbon monxide call at a north Tulsa home.
After checking trouble spots, like the hot water heater in the garage and the kitchen area, firefighters determined it was a false alarm.
The homeowner was worried after getting a headache, which is the most common side effect.
“Headache is normally the first one, light-headed ness, dizziness, nauseous, vomiting,” he said. “Eventually it progresses on to unconsciousness."