Wednesday, July 27th 2016, 9:41 AM CDT
- 2 medium, 2”wide zucchini
- 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 Tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. White-wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. shallot, minced
- 1 cup quartered grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Trim ends of zucchini and cut lengthwise. Cut a thin slice off the backs so each half sits flat. Scoop out the pulp, leaving a 1/4" shell. Finely chop the pulp and set aside.
- Place zucchini halves in a microwave-safe dish. Sprinkle each with 1/4 tsp. of salt and pepper. Cover and microwave on high, 3 to 4 minutes, until tender-crisp. (An alternative, steam in a steamer basket over 1” of boiling water in a large skillet or pot.)
- In a large bowl whisk oil, vinegar, shallot and each remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, cheese, basil and zucchini pulp. Toss to combine. Evenly distribute filling into the Zucchini Boats.