Mother's Day Cookies
Thursday, May 11th 2017, 11:56 AM CDT
Cookie Dough Ingredients:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In the bowl of your mixer, cream butter and sugar until smooth, at least 3 minutes.
- Beat in extracts and egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking powder with flour and add a little at a time to the wet ingredients. The dough will be very stiff. If it becomes too stiff for your mixer, turn out the dough onto a countertop surface and finish off kneading the dough by hand.
- On a flour dusted surface, roll dough to ¼” thickness and cut with cookie cutter.
- Put cookies on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.
Royal Icing Ingredients:
- 2 lbs. powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup meringue powder
- 1 cup water, warm
- Beat together the meringue powder and water in your mixing bowl for a few minutes until frothy.
- Add in the sugar, and mix together slowly until all the liquid and powdered sugar are combined.
- If you have a stand mixer, set it at medium-high and beat the mixture together with the paddle attachment for 4 minutes.
- Your icing should have semi-stiff peaks when the icing is ready, not floppy peaks.
- Keep unused icing covered in an airtight container for up to a week.