Canadian County Gives Away Mosquito Dunks
CANADIAN COUNTY, Oklahoma - Health leaders in Canadian County are taking steps they hope will keep mosquitoes under control this summer. The health department and the assessor's officer are giving away free mosquito dunks.
You dunk them in water, like pools, ponds or fountains, and they kill mosquito larvae.
Here are some other tips for mosquito control:
- Dump out all standing water. This includes tires, flower pots, toys, bird baths, buckets, etc.
- Keep swimming pools clean and free of stagnant water.
- Change the water in birdbaths and flower pots at least two times per week.
- Refresh your pet's water bowl daily.
- Eliminate tall grass, weeds, vegetation and other mosquito resting places.
- Fill in holes or eliminate the water sources where mosquitoes may be breeding.
- Stock ornamental ponds with mosquito-eating fish.
- Encourage neighbors to eliminate mosquito breeding and resting sites on their property.
- Cover unused pools and/or hot tubs and make sure that the covers don’t hold water.
- Make sure doors and windows have tight-fitting screens in good repair.
- Clean clogged gutters and/or slope to downspouts.
- Screen rain barrels, openings to water tanks and any other water storage containers.