Tulsa Firefighters Contain Fire Near 5th & Yorktown
TULSA, Oklahoma - Tulsa firefighters say an electrical problem may have started a huge fire in the attic of a home near 3rd and Lewis Tuesday morning.
No one was inside because the home was vacant, firefighters said.
They said they believe the fire started in the attic sometime around 4 a.m.
Neighbors stood outside and watched the firefighters work and they told News On 6 that the owner of the home was in the middle of renovating it.
"Makes you grateful for what you got cause you could lose it real quick," said neighbor Tyler Porter.
Firefighters used a ladder truck to knock out the big flames. Then they went inside and worked to keep the fire from flaring up again.
TFD said it started in the attic, and once it got to the shingles, it took off.
"That's got an oily substance to it, so it just acts like a big fuel and just takes off," a TFD district chief said.
Tulsa Fire said a lot of roof fires are caused by electrical problems. While no one lived at the house, TFD said the electricity was still connected.