- 1 Multigrain Baguette (8 sliced 1-inch thick, sliced on bias)
- 10 ounce bag cubed Butternut Squash or any winter squash (2/3 cup)
- 1 medium Red Onion
- 3 tbls. Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 tbls. Olive Oil
- Black Pepper
- Put the squash on a baking tray, drizzle it with about 2 tbsp olive oil and season it with salt and pepper.
- If you make it in a toaster oven, put it on high (400-450°F) for 20 minutes. It should be the same in a regular oven, just check that it doesn’t burn.
- Flip the squash after 10 minutes.
- While the squash roasts, chop up the onion and start caramelizing it in a pan with the remaining olive oil. Don’t turn the heat up too high or it is going to burn.
- When the squash is done roasting, add it to the pan, stir well and add some balsamic vinegar.
- Use a fork to mash up the squash – this should be very easy, as it is very soft after roasting.
- Mix everything well and you are done! Try it to see, if you would like more of a zing by adding more balsamic vinegar to it.
- Cut the baguette in slices, put the pumpkin onion mixture on top and put it back in the oven for about
- 5-10 minutes to toast it up.