Tulsa Firefighters: Alternate Heat Sources Could Spell Disaster - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

News

Tulsa Firefighters: Alternate Heat Sources Could Spell Disaster This Winter

Posted: Updated:
TULSA, Oklahoma -

Friday will be the first night a lot of people turn on their heat. 

And despite the dangers, some choose cheaper, alternative ways to stay warm, like space heaters. 

Firefighters have some advice they hope you listen to this season. 

It’s talked about every year, but that's because time and time again, crews are called out to deadly house fires because of space heaters. 

Firefighters say the key to prevention is as simple as knowing what to do and what not to do.

"This next month or two is pretty tough. People just aren't ready," said Captain Stan May with the Tulsa Fire Department. 

Tulsa fire crews say they want to prevent calls the one they received last December.

A man was critically injured after a space heater sparked the flames at his home on East Zion.

"The first thing we need to do is make sure that you've had your heating equipment checked out so you don't need to use a space heater," said May

If you do, Captain May says to plug it directly into a wall, not an extension cord. 

Also, check that it's up-to-date and that the cord isn't cracked. 

"That cracking and that insulation is going to let heat out and eventually a spark out, and that's where we see a lot of fires," May said. 

Keep the unit 3 feet away from drapes, carpet, furniture and other combustibles and make sure it has a tip-over switch. 

"If anyone has children or pets, they will get knocked over," said May.

Firefighters also say a big concern is people using ovens and stovetops as a heating source, especially units that run on gas. 

"They're designed to run for an hour or two at a time, while you're cooking a meal."

Tulsa fire investigators say this dangerous method is what killed an elderly woman in December. 

An extra risk is carbon monoxide poisoning. 
"They're not vented, so you're putting carbon monoxide into your house, continuously, for hours on end so it's going to build up. Especially in the winter when you keep that house closed up," May said. 

Tonight's freeze is a good reminder to check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

Firefighters say any space heater that uses fuel is a no-go. 

You should also make sure to clean out your chimney before using your fireplace and get a professional to inspect your furnace. 

It's a small price to pay to potentially save a life. 

Special Features

Live Traffic

Get the latest road conditions on Green Country roadways.

iPhone App

Get breaking news, weather, sports & video directly on your iPhone.

CBS Shows

Watch your favorite CBS shows for free online.

Links

Looking for a website or event you heard mentioned on News On 6? Find it here!

TV Schedule

Need to know what's on TV? Check out our television schedule.

Live Radar

WARN Interactive

Special Coverage

  • Bridge Tracker

    How safe are Oklahoma's bridges? Use Bridge Tracker to find out now.

  • Fallen Heroes

    News On 6 honors our fallen Oklahoma heroes. View our interactive timeline.

  • Murrah Bombing Timeline

    Learn more about the events leading up to and following the bombing.

  • Storm Zone

    Watch tornadoes tear across Oklahoma and learn how to stay safe!

Powered by Frankly
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
Newson6.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KOTV. Oklahoma Traveler™ is a registered trademark of Griffin Communications. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.