Chicken And White Bean Chili
- 3 chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
- Black pepper
- 2 cups diced yellow onions
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper (seeded and stem discarded)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sweet pimentos
- 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes with juice
- 14-ounce can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- Toppings (choose one or more) cilantro, lime wedges, finely diced red onion, hot sauce or yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Rub the chicken breasts with 1 tbsp olive oil, season aggressively with salt and pepper, then place in an oven-safe baking pan.
- Roast until they are firm to the touch and cooked through - about 25 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the meat with your fingers and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell peppers, garlic, cumin, chili powder, pimentos and large pinch of salt.
- Cook stirring occasionally.
- Once the vegetables are softened but not browned - about 10 minutes - add the tomatoes and another pinch of salt and turn up the heat.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, turn the heat to low and cook for about 30 minutes until the tomatoes begin to break down.
- Use your spoon to break the tomatoes up a bit then add the beans and the chicken to the pot, stir to combine.
- Add a splash of water - about 1/3 cup if the chili looks a bit dry.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes before seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with favorite topping.