Classic Caviar & Blini
Preparation with Recipes and Tips
- 1 oz. Caviar
- 8 ea. Blini (see recipe)
- 4 oz. Crème Fraiche (see recipe) or Sour Cream
- 2 T. Shallots and/or Chives (chopped fine)
- 2 ea. Hard Boiled Eggs
- 1 ea. Lemon
- Separate the cooked egg yolk from the white. Chop each separately and place in separate small bowls. Place the remaining ingredients separately into small bowls and arrange on a serving platter or large plate with the caviar in the middle. The caviar should remain in its original container.
- To prepare: place a dollop of Crème Fraiche (or Sour Cream) on the blini and sprinkle a small amount of each ingredient over the top. Finish by placing a small scoop of caviar on top and enjoy.
- Always remove your caviar from the refrigerator 15-30 minutes before serving.
- Do not open the caviar until it is just about to be served.
- Never use a stainless steel or silver spoon to scoop caviar. This will oxidize it and affect its flavor. Use a traditional pearl caviar spoon or glass, plastic, or ceramic spoon.
- Pair Caviar with chilled vodka, champagne or a dry white wine.
- 1 c. Flour
- 1 c. Corn Meal
- 2 ½ t. Baking Powder
- 1 t. Salt
- Pinch Sugar
- 1 ea. Egg
- 1 ½ c. Milk
- 3 T. Butter (melted)
- Combine the first five “dry” ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir well.
- Combine the last three “wet” ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk.
- Slowly pour the “wet” mix into the “dry” while whisking to combine.
- Pour one tablespoon of batter at a time onto a hot, oiled pan. Flip when golden brown and remove when cooked through. Just like a pancake.