Surfer Survives Freak Accident, Chunk Of Board Sticks In His Head
SAN DIEGO, California - (KFMB) - It was supposed to be a typical day of surf contest training.
Chuck Davey was behind the lens capturing his son Mick do what he does best, surfing. Suddenly, he noticed something wasn’t quite right.
What happened next was something the veteran lifeguard could never have prepared for.
The La Jolla high school sophomore had a chunk of fiberglass from his board stuck to his head as first responders scrambled to stop it from bleeding.
The 15-year-old competitive surfer suddenly found himself undergoing emergency surgery and put in a medically induced coma for a day. Mick fought against all the odds and miraculously pulled through the surgery.
The avid surfer is still in the ICU as doctors are concerned about possible infection, but the doctors remain cautiously optimistic for a full recovery.
Perhaps the hardest part for Mick is having to wait a couple months to get back in the water.