Monday, April 23rd 2018, 1:45 pm CDT
- 24 Brioche slider buns
- 24 2 oz ground sirloin patties
- Oven dried Roma tomatoes (see recipe below)
- Bacon and onion jam (see recipe below)
- Shredded aged white cheddar
- TT salt and pepper
- Grill or pan sear the burger patties and toast the buns.
- Place the cold jam on the beef patties when done and allow to warm. Add the cheese to melt and then top with tomatoes and watercress.
- No need for sauce, the jam does the trick! Enjoy!
Bacon and Onion Jam:
- 2# raw bacon, chopped
- 2C brown sugar
- 2 ½ C onions
- 2T Worcestershire sauce
- 2T Dijon mustard
- 2T garlic, minced
- 4 oz Bourbon whiskey
- Render bacon fat in saute pan on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until almost crispy. Drain fat, add onions and garlic and saute for 2 minutes stirring often.
- Add all remaining ingredients except whiskey and stir in to incorporate sugar fully.
- Cover and turn heat down low and simmer. Stir occasionally and reduce sauce down to a honey-like consistency. Add whiskey and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from saute pan immediately and chill. Top your favorite burger and enjoy!
Oven Dried Roma Tomatoes:
- 5 ea Roma tomatoes, sliced ¼ inch
- 1/3 C olive oil
- TT kosher salt and black pepper
- Toss tomatoes in a bowl with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper lightly and arrange evenly on a baking rack. (Remember the tomatoes will reduce the moisture which will concentrate the tomato flavor and seasoning.)
- Place the rack on a cookie sheet or baking pan and place in 250 degree oven. Slowly dry out the tomatoes to a wilted dry looking tomato slice. They should retain their red color and be easily removed from the rack when done.
- The light seasoning will enhance the tomato flavor and leave a savory, tart taste to the tomato.
- This will be key in combining flavors with the sweet smoky flavor of the bacon and onion jam.