Strawberry-Lemon Baked Donuts
Monday, May 21st 2018, 11:51 AM CDT
- Nonstick spray
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ cup low-fat (1%) milk
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ? cup fresh strawberries, cut into very small pieces
- (be sure to use fresh strawberries as frozen ones will give off extra water and could result in soggy donuts)
- ? cup freeze-fried strawberries, roughly crumbled
- 1 Tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a regular-size 6-hole doughnut pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg and granulated sugar. Add milk, lemon juice, and vanilla; whisk well.
- Add flour, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt to bowl; stir well. Add fresh strawberries to batter; gently fold to incorporate.
- Evenly divide batter in pan by pouring ? cup batter into each hole. Or you can place batter in a zip-close plastic bag, cut off a corner, and pipe into pan.
- Bake for 16 minutes; remove from oven and let cool in pan, about 10 minutes. Using a knife, gently nudge doughnuts around edges to remove them from pan.
- When cool, sprinkle with crumble freeze-dried berries; dust with confectioners’ sugar.