Upside Down Apple Skillet Cake
Tuesday, November 20th 2018, 12:27 PM CST
- 1 stick Hiland Butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Griffin’s Original Syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup Miller Pecan Co. pecan halves
- 1 cup Shawnee Mills Self-Rising Flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice (cinnamon will also work)
- 3 tablespoons Hiland Butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- ¼ cup Hiland Sour Cream
- Melt butter in 8- or 9-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, syrup and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Arrange apple slices and pecans over butter-sugar mixture. Turn heat down to medium-low while making cake batter.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar and apple pie spice. Add melted butter, egg, milk and sour cream. Mix until just moistened.
- Spread cake batter over apples, gently spreading to cover. Move to a preheated 375-degree oven, and bake 20 minutes or until cake is golden and slightly puffy. You can use a toothpick to check for doneness. Remove from oven, and let sit for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a serving plate. Serve with freshly whipped Hiland cream or Hiland vanilla ice cream.