Recipe from Michelle Scott of California
4 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons flour
3 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, chopped (I use canned more often than not)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
3 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup heavy cream
1. Melt the butter over low heat in a pot.
2. Add the onion; cook over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until soft.
Add the garlic during the last 2 minutes, stirring. Sprinkle with flour
and cook 3 minutes longer, stirring.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and broth. Bring to a boil,
reduce heat to a simmer and cover; cook over medium-low heat for 30
minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool
4. Purée the soup in a food processor - I use the hand blender and do
it right in the pot. Stir in the heavy cream.
5. Warm the soup before serving.