Recipe from Patricia Petrone from New York
Like Alfredo but feel it's sometimes too rich? Try my recipe! The acid of some of the ingredients really cuts the richness. It's also more diet friendly than the original butter-cream mixture.
- 3 tbs lemon juice. (fresh or not)
- 1/4 cup 1% milk
- 1.5 tablespoons reduced fat cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons of your favorite soft butter substitute (Reduced calorie and fat hopefully)
- A very small portion of jalapeno or habanero pepper (Anything very hot)
- 1 tbs finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbs finely grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tbs garlic powder
- Generous amount pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1/2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Combine olive oil and butter in small sauce pan over medium heat until melted.
- Put milk, cream cheese, and half of the parmesan cheese in a food processor. Blend until creamy and add to pan, then add sherry and lemon juice.
- Season with garlic powder, salt, pepper.
- Stir frequently and keep at a simmer on medium heat.
- Food process the tiny portion of hot pepper until barely visible, add it to the mix along with rest of parmesan and mozzarella. Keep stirring until it has reduced to your desired thickness.
Serve over pasta.
Time: 23 minutes. Serves 1.