Italian Breakfast Strata
- Thursday, January 01, 2004
- Serves 6
- 6 oz Italian Sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
¼ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (if very dry, soaked in hot water and drained first)
Vegetable pan coating
4 large eggs
1 cup egg substitute
1 cup skim milk
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
4 to 6 oz Italian bread, sliced ½ inch thick
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese ( about 6 ounces)
- You can prepare the strata up to a day ahead and let the bread soak overnight in the refrigerator. (If it is refrigerated overnight, it may need to cook a few minutes longer.)
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, stirring occasionally and breaking up meat with spoon, until browned, 8-10 minutes.
Add onion and mushrooms; cook, stirring, until soft, 8-10 minutes. Stir in sun-dried
tomatoes. Transfer to a plate; let cool until barely warm.
2. Spray non- stick pan coating in an 8-inch square baking dish.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Arrange half of the bread in a slightly overlapping layer in bottom of dish. Scatter half of the sausage mixture and then
half the cheese over the bread. Repeat with remaining bread, sausage, and cheese, pressing firmly. Pour egg mixture over layers.
Cover and refrigerate at least 20 minutes or up to overnight
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake (uncovered) until puffed and golden
And a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.
- Nutrition Facts:
- 370 calories, 28 grams Carbohydrate, 21.5 grams of Protein, and 19 grams of fat
- Sonja Stolfa, RD/LD, Hillcrest