The News On 6 signed on the air on October 15, 1949 as Tulsa's first television station. Located in the former garage of an International Harvester dealership at 3rd and Frankfort, The News On 6 was one of only 90 television stations in the country at the time and boasted the industry's largest studio. Celebrities Patti Page and then-Governor Roy Turner were on hand for the first commercial broadcast from The News On 6 in downtown Tulsa.
The News On 6 held the distinction at that time of having the only woman chief executive in the television industry. Ms. Maria Helen Alvarez was The News On 6's first general manager and co-owner. Colorful, and a shrewd businesswoman, Alvarez was a pioneer in an industry that would literally change the world. In 1951, The News On 6 purchased its first mobile broadcast unit -- a converted bread truck! -- for $100,000. Station engineers used this new piece of equipment to broadcast Saturday Night Wrestling from Avery's Coliseum and later used the same truck to cover the fire that destroyed the arena. Perhaps the most impressive feat at the time was The News On 6's live broadcast of the OU/Missouri game.
The News On 6's original antenna sat on the 14th floor of the National Bank of Tulsa building at 3rd and Boston. In the mid-1950s, the station built a 100,000 watt transmitter and tower in Sand Springs. At the time, the tower was the second tallest structure in the U.S. The News On 6's current tall tower, located at Oneta, was built in the early 1980s as a joint venture with KJRH.
In its 50-plus year history, The News On 6 has had only three ownership changes. In the mid-1950s, Corinthian Broadcasting acquired The News On 6. Corinthian sold the station to Belo Corporation in 1983, and Griffin Communications took ownership on January 1, 2001.
Today The News On 6 continues to be an industry leader in news, programming and community service. Drawing on more than 50 years of experience, we can take the good things of our past and create great things for our future.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your resume, application and EEO form to:
Human Resources Department
The News On 6
302 S Frankfort
Tulsa, OK 74120