From Staff and Wire Reports
Bobby Reid's Oklahoma State football career appears to be finished, coach Mike Gundy acknowledged Friday.
Gundy said Reid, the backup quarterback defended by the coach during a now-famous rant, had not spoken with him about the situation. But Gundy didn't doubt the credibility of a report Friday in The Dallas Morning News that quoted Reid's mother, Rajika Reid, as saying her son would not return to play for the Cowboys next season.
"I can't speak for them, but I think it's something everyone kind of anticipated," Gundy said Friday during a conference call with reporters. "...I think it was kind of understood that it was going to happen."
Rajika Reid told the Morning News that her son is considering entering the NFL draft for transferring to another college.
"We do have a little window, and he is still trying to make up his mind," Rajika Reid told the Dallas paper. "Hopefully soon, he will have a decision. But, yes, he won't be back to Oklahoma State."
NCAA rules would require Reid to sit out a season if he transferred to another school. Reid has to decide by Jan. 15 if he wants to enter the draft.
Reid, a junior from Houston, entered the season seemingly entrenched as the Cowboys' starter, having held the job since midway through his freshman season. But he left a Sept. 8 game against Florida Atlantic with an injury, opening the door for Zac Robinson, who started Oklahoma State's last 11 games.
Reid has played only sparingly since his demotion. He has declined interview requests since then. He graduated from Oklahoma State in December with a bachelor's degree in education.
This season, Reid passed for 602 yards and two touchdowns and rushing 19 times for 15 yards. As a sophomore, he passed for 2,266 yards and 24 touchdowns and rushed 119 times for 500 yards and five scores.
Gundy's rant came after a column about possible reasons for Reid's demotion appeared in an Oklahoma City newspaper on Sept. 22. The coach used his entire postgame news conference after a win that day over Texas Tech to verbally berate the columnist.
The rant, punctuated by an outburst of "Come after me! I'm a man! I'm 40!" became the topic of national conversation and a staple of the online video-sharing site YouTube.
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
Newson6.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.