A mobile home fire near Sapulpa takes the life of a 14 year old - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

A mobile home fire near Sapulpa takes the life of a 14 year old

A Creek County teenager dies in a mobile home fire Wednesday morning. It happened in rural Creek County near Sapulpa.

News on 6 reporter Ashli Sims explains why fire crews had a little trouble fighting this fire. Firefighters say the mobile home was full of flames, when they arrived on scene. And putting them out was made more difficult, because there are no water hydrants in this area. The flames had already taken hold of the mobile home by the time fire fighters arrived on the scene.

Neighbor Verna Reed: "I heard a noise and I looked out my back window and I saw flames. There was a back room here and it was just shooting up." Another neighbor saw the smoke and raced towards the home.

Neighbor Cindy Mann: "the mom came running around the back with a baby in her arms and was screaming and I jumped out and ran and I asked was there anyone inside and she said my two babies."

14-year-old Miko Taylor was inside. Cindy Mann: "she come back screaming and crying that she couldn’t get em out and that’s all there was you couldn’t do nothing more." Fire fighters did what they could, the 14-year-old was found dead in the rubble. He played with Cindy Mann's 12 year old son Brint. "Me and my brother and him and a couple other people they'd come over like every weekend and play football. He's like a friend of ours."

Cindy Mann: "he was at our house last night late last night he was a friend of my sons been in the neighborhood forever it’s just terrible he was there last night and gone this morning."

The mobile home was burned so badly you could see right through it. Fighting the fire was complicated, because crews had to leave the scene to get water. Sapulpa Assistant Fire Chief Bob Selsor: "due to the fact that there's not a hydrant system very close they're shuttling back and forth water.”

The state fire marshal ruled this fire an accident, but he did not say what specifically started it. And this is another tragic reminder to check your smoke detectors.

The Sapulpa Fire Department says there was a smoke detector in the home, but it did not have batteries. Fire officials said the family took the batteries out to put in a toy.
Powered by Frankly
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
Newson6.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KOTV. Oklahoma Traveler™ is a registered trademark of Griffin Communications. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.