State lawmaker proposes group home permits - - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - |

State lawmaker proposes group home permits

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Opening a group home in a residential area may soon require a special-use permit.

Currently, some group homes are considered single-family residential and don't need a separate permit to reside in a neighborhood.

Democratic state Senator Debbe Leftwich filed a bill in response to residents of a southwest Oklahoma City neighborhood.

The residents complained after the state Department of Human Services bought a house for unwed mothers in state custody.

Oklahoma City officials say DHS needs a special permit to operate the house where five teen mothers and their babies will live under state supervision.

But department officials say the group home falls under single-residency zoning.

Neighbors say they weren't notified of the intended use of the house by DHS and complained that it will blight their neighborhood.
Powered by Frankly
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103 is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KOTV. Oklahoma Traveler™ is a registered trademark of Griffin Communications. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.