OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) _ Oklahoma City fire officials say an overnight power outage may be to blame for an ammonia release that forced the evacuation of about 180 people from two businesses.
Fire Major Brian Stanaland says two people were treated for ammonia inhalation yesterday after a 9 AM release valve opened briefly on a refrigerating system at Clements Food Company.
The company lost power during Thursday night's storms, and the ammonia stopped circulating.
Stanaland says at the same time, power was restored to a neighboring business, Caston Architectural Millwork. That business' air circulating system, which is supposed to pull in fresh air from the outside, turned on and sucked in the released ammonia.
He says about 150 people were evacuated from the food company and 30 from the mill.
Air in both buildings was found to be clear about 10:30 AM.