Traveling isn't as easy as it used to be - - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - |

Traveling isn't as easy as it used to be

A Broken Arrow man recently planned a Caribbean trip to celebrate his retirement. He was told all he needed was a birth certificate and a photo ID if he didn't have a passport. Imagine his surprise, when he got to the airport and wasn't allowed to go on the trip.

News on 6 crime reporter Lori Fullbright explains what you need to make sure your summer travel plans don't get grounded.

Sergeant Troy Rogers and his wife are supposed to be in Jamaica right now. Troy retired in early spring after nearly 30 years on the Tulsa Police Department. He spent years, working robberies of everything from banks to convenience store, to little old ladies. To celebrate his retirement, Troy and Barbara booked a trip in February for July with another couple to a Sandals resort in Jamaica.

They paid for it and asked the travel agent what documents they needed. Troy Rogers: "I asked, do I need a passport and I was informed, no, a photo ID and a birth certificate." Troy took the birth certificate he's used over the years for school, in the military and to get a job on the force, his wife also had her original birth certificate. Yet, the day of the trip, they were told, they would not be going anywhere. "The young lady at the counter, who was doing her job, said this is not sufficient, it's not a government issued birth certificate."

That's right, the kind with the feet on the back isn't allowed by the State Department since September 11th.It must be a birth certificate issued by a city, county or state. Troy and Barbara watched their friends board the plane and are now out $3,000. "You went through a series of emotions, anger; we'll work this out, negotiating phase and depression."

Troy wanted to warn others what's required to travel outside the US so no one else's vacation plans go up in smoke.

A travel agent told the News on 6, that by the end of this year, anyone traveling outside the U-S will be required to have a passport. To do that, go to the Tulsa County courthouse with two pictures of yourself, a state-issued birth certificate and a photo ID. It costs $97 and takes about six weeks.

You can find more information on the State Department's website.
Powered by Frankly
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103 is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KOTV. Oklahoma Traveler™ is a registered trademark of Griffin Communications. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.