PINEVILLE, Mo. (AP) Family members of a caregiver who was among 10 people killed in a group home fire in southwest Missouri last month sued the home's owner and the group that operated it, claiming both were negligent.
The parents and wife of 19-year-old Glen Taff filed a wrongful death lawsuit Monday in McDonald County court, alleging that owner Robert Dupont and the Joplin-based River of Life Ministries that ran the facility failed to fix faulty electrical wiring and install a sprinkler system. It is the first fire-related lawsuit filed.
A woman who answered the phone at River of Life Ministries said no one was available to discuss the lawsuit.
The home had working fire alarms but no sprinklers. Dupont has said he believes the home met all required safety precautions.
Ten people died in the fire and about two dozen were injured, including Taff's wife, Amanda.
Investigators said the fire, which started around 1 a.m. on November 27th in the unfinished attic of the single-story home, was possibly caused by faulty wiring.