HARRISON, N.Y. (AP) _ Former NBA star Latrell Sprewell, accused of assaulting his girlfriend in front of their children, may communicate with his children only by phone, e-mail or text message.
Harrison Town Judge Marc Lust extended an order of protection Friday keeping Sprewell _ best known for choking Golden State Warriors coach P.J. Carlesimo at a 1997 practice _ away from girlfriend Candace Cabbil and their four children.
The 36-year-old Sprewell is charged with third-degree assault, obstructing governmental administration and five counts of endangering the welfare of a child. The charges say Sprewell assaulted Cabbil on Dec. 11 in their Purchase home and refused to let in police for 90 minutes.
His lawyer has denied the charges. The judge told Sprewell to return to court May 4.
Cabbil filed a $200 million lawsuit against Sprewell last month in Manhattan. She claims he broke his promise to share his life and his fortune with her, and reduced his support for their children. The lawsuit says Cabbil also is guardian for a fifth child, a 16-year-old Sprewell fathered with another woman.
When Sprewell was traded from the New York Knicks to Minnesota in July 2003, the couple agreed that Cabbil would remain in Purchase with the children, the lawsuit said.
Sprewell turned down a three-year, $21 million contract extension from Minnesota in 2005 and hasn't played professional basketball since. He played 13 seasons and was a four-time All-Star.
Sprewell flew in from his River Hills, Wis., home for the court session. Neither he nor his lawyer, George Bellantoni, would talk to reporters outside court. Inside, Sprewell told the judge he had avoided contact with Cabbil, saying, ``We don't talk.''