(TULSA) - The origin of a fire that did about $1 million in damage to a southeast-side condominium building and left 75 people homeless was narrowed Wednesday to an area near a kitchen stove in one of the units on the ground floor.
Fire investigators believe the two-alarm blaze at The Willows was accidental, but Fire Capt. Hubert Rouse could not say how the fire happened.
``They are still trying to put some of the pieces together on that,'' Rouse said.
Firefighters first called to the building about 2:45 a.m. Tuesday battled freezing winds as well as flames. The temperature early Tuesday dipped to 19 degrees.
A second alarm was sounded around 4 a.m. after firefighters realized the blaze had reached the building's common attic and continued to spread, Rouse said.
Seventy-five to 100 firefighters were at the scene of the fire at its height, Rouse said.
The American Red Cross was assisting 27 families with food, clothing, shelter and medication on Wednesday, officials said.
``Because of the severe damage, they could not salvage a whole lot,'' spokeswoman Melissa Ramirez said.
The Red Cross will provide displaced residents with three nights' lodging in a motel and give them vouchers to purchase food and clothing. The agency will also help the victims find places to live by providing money for the deposits on new apartments.
Anyone wanting to donate money to assist the residents can call 918-831-1159.