HUNNEWELL, Kan. (AP) _ Two women were critically injured Tuesday night in an explosion and fire at a home in Sumner County, Kansas, near the Oklahoma border.
The home was located at Hunnewell, along U.S. 177, about a quarter-mile north of the Oklahoma line. Deputy Sheriff Anderson Lowe said he could see the flames as he approached South Haven, about three miles to the north.
The injured women, one 72 and the other 23, were flown to Wichita where they were in critical condition in the burn unit at Via Christi-St. Francis.
A 48-year-old man, father of the younger woman and son-in-law of the older one, suffered burns on his hands while rescuing them and he was in fair to serious condition at the hospital. He had pulled the bed-ridden older woman through a window, officials said.
Two other occupants of the home were not injured.
Lowe said propane gas was believe to have exploded. He said that while the investigation was still in its early stages, officials believe a newly installed propane gas line was accidentally turned on.