Firefighters say a smoke detector would likely have saved a Creek County couple that died when their home went up in flames.
61-year old Willie Bruton and 44-year old Holly Smith nearly escaped the fire that destroyed their home at 24464 West 111th West Avenue early Monday. The couple was found lying in their hallway. Investigators believe a hot stovepipe ignited things in the attic. The fire quickly spread to the rest of the house.
Carolyn Smythe with the Freedom Hill Fire Department, "Not one smoke detector, if this family had had one smoke detector, the odds of them walking out would've been so greatly increased."
Fire officials say there's no excuse not to have a smoke detector. If you can't afford one, call your local fire department. They have a special fund set aside and can get you one for free.