DETROIT (AP) _ General Motors pulled a Corvette ad that shows a young boy driving wildly through city streets after safety advocates complained, the company said Wednesday.
Auto safety groups sent a letter Tuesday to GM chairman and chief executive Rick Wagoner protesting the television ad, saying it sent a dangerous message. The ad had been running during the Olympics.
GM spokesman Joe Jacuzzi said the automaker pulled the ad on Tuesday in response to that letter and other consumer feedback.
The ad, titled ``A Boy's Dream,'' features a dream sequence in which a clearly underage boy is shown behind the wheel of a Corvette, making unrealistic maneuvers at high speeds.
Judith Stone, president of Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety, one of the signers of the letter to Wagoner, welcomed GM's decision. Critics said the boy looked to be about 11 or 12.
``We're delighted that they did the right thing,'' she said.
Jacuzzi said the ad never was intended to depict a real-life situation.