Family Hoping To Warn Others About Carbon Monoxide - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Family Hoping To Warn Others About Carbon Monoxide

Updated:
As the temperature drops, the danger increases for carbon monoxide poisoning. News On 6 anchor Craig Day reports one green country family whose daughter was killed by the colorless, odorless gas is working to make sure other families don't have their hearts broken. Since the age of eight, Amanda Manos knew what she wanted to do when she grew up. She was making her dream of being an actress, attending a performing arts college in New York, but her life was cut short.

"It killed her and one of her best friends. Just 20-years-old, just starting her life," said Amanda’s father, Gary Manos.

Amanda was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, caused by a faulty heater.

"It was chilly, she turned on the heater, and went to bed," said Amanda’s mother, Pam Manos.

"A silent killer. You go to bed and you don't wake up," said Gary Manos.

Since her death, Amanda's parents have made it their mission to put carbon monoxide detectors in as many homes as possible. At their store, Humphrey's Plumbing, Heating and Air in McAlester, they sell detectors at cost to anyone who wants one.

"I don't want to make any money off them, I just want them out there," said Gary Manos.

Since their daughter's death nearly four years ago, they estimate, they've gone through 1,000 detectors. In addition to the carbon monoxide detectors sold at their store on Main Street in McAlester, the Manos' also keep detectors in their service trucks, making the carbon monoxide detectors available to people in five counties.

"You know you are supposed to go before your children do. It's, you don't understand until you lose a child and it doesn't have to be from carbon monoxide, you lose a child, it does something to you," said Gary Manos.

The couple wants to spare other families that heartache. They want to make a difference and save lives.

"I hope we can save one life and that would make me happy," said Pam Manos.

It was a loss they will never forget.

"I lost my daughter. And she was our whole life," said Gary Manos.

Humphrey's Plumbing, Heating and Air is located at 204 S. Main in McAlester.

For more information on Carbon Monoxide, click here.

Watch the video: One Family's Fight Against Carbon Monoxide
Powered by Frankly
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
Newson6.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 KOTV. Oklahoma Traveler™ is a registered trademark of Griffin Communications. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.