Fatal House Fire Claims Another Life - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Look inside this story to learn how you can help the family.

Fatal House Fire Claims Another Life

Posted: Updated:
According to the family's pastor Hannah Casillas died Monday According to the family's pastor Hannah Casillas died Monday
Quintin Casillas died in Sunday's house fire Quintin Casillas died in Sunday's house fire
Broken Arrow firefighters say he did not make it out of Sunday morning's house fire in the 200 block of West Urbana Street. Broken Arrow firefighters say he did not make it out of Sunday morning's house fire in the 200 block of West Urbana Street.

A second child has died following this weekend's house fire in Broken Arrow.  The family's pastor tells The News On 6 10-year old Hannah Casillas died late this Monday morning.  Her 2-year old brother, Quintin, died on Sunday.  News On 6 anchor Terry Hood reports investigators believe an electrical problem started the fire.  Meanwhile, the family's church is trying to help them rebuild their lives.

Outside of the Casillas family home sits a makeshift memorial, flowers and a note offering prayers and encouragement.  At the family's church, a different kind of outpouring.

Shoes, clothes, even a Bible to help a family who lost everything.

"There's not anything they don't need," said Rob Brust, Northside Christian Church.

Brust is leading a team that's helping the family cope with the loss of two children.

Two-year-old Quintin died inside the home, firefighters found his body in his bedroom.  His older sister, Hannah, was found in the hallway. She was taken to the hospital but died late Monday morning.

The children's grandmother, 57-year-old Carol Ann Thomas, was also taken to the hospital. She's in serious condition.

"It's been a struggle but they also recognize that they're putting their faith in the Lord and their trusting Him, knowing that He didn't cause this and they believe that He's going to take care of them," said Brust.

Investigators believe the fire started in the living room and say those first on scene don't believe the home had smoke detectors.

"They do not recall hearing an active, working smoke detector going off," said Broken Arrow Fire Dep. Chief James Suddath.

Dep. Chief Suddath says a smoke detector picks up carbon monoxide before those in the house even notice the fire.

"That's usually one of the number one killers, is that when a fire gets started it creates a lot of carbon monoxide and it actually puts the occupants of the house to sleep long before the fire even gets to them," said Dep. Chief Suddath.

Brust says the family knows of the efforts to help them recover and says they're overwhelmed.  Those donating say it's the right thing to do.

"That's what this story is all about. Share with your neighbors. If you got it, give it," said Alva Wright.

Northside Christian Church at 1201 N. Elm in Broken Arrow is accepting donations for the family.  Organizers say clothing, toys for boys, ages one, five, and eight, as well as a 12-year-old girl, and their parents are what are needed most. 

The church is also accepting monetary donations.  You can reach the church at 918-258-2577.

To see Northside Christian Church's website, click here.

Powered by Frankly
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
Newson6.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 KOTV. Oklahoma Traveler™ is a registered trademark of Griffin Communications. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.