By Lori Fullbright, The News On 6

TULSA, OK -- What are you supposed to do if you're in a car wreck in Tulsa and want to make sure the right person is held responsible? Tulsa police will no longer respond to accidents when nobody is hurt.

Everyone needs to know what a white sheet is. It's the police report citizens fill out themselves after a crash that they mail to the police department for insurance purposes.

Having a wreck is miserable and someone is usually to blame. People feel better when an officer arrives, does a report and writes a ticket if needed. But, as long as there are no injuries, you now have to do that work yourself. There are four key things drivers need to know.

First, move the cars off the road.

It's a state law; it's safer, and you don't want to cause more accidents.

Second, get information.

"You want to get their name, phone number, address, driver's license number, Oklahoma drivers license number, car information, make, the model, two-door, four-door, pickup, style, the color, the tag number, and I recommend you also get the VIN number," said Corporal Mike Fitzgerald of the Tulsa Police Department.

Third, exchange insurance.

You need the company name, policy number and the claims number is best, which is usually an 1-800 number. Also, get the agent's name, number and address.

Fourth, take pictures.

Take photos of both cars, the damage, the general area, the conditions and even the other driver.

"We're still responding to hit and runs, injury collisions, and if there's a disturbance with a non-injury call, we'll come out there for the disturbance and make sure everything is okay and you get the information exchanged," Fitzgerald said.

Police say they need to keep officers free to respond to more urgent calls, like felonies in progress and things that are life threatening. They say police don't determine fault anyway, so don't worry no one is getting a ticket.

"Not having an officer there on a minor collision, I do understand the fear factor, is this going to work out okay, but, it will," said Corporal Mike Fitzgerald, TPD. "As long as you get that information, get it on the report, get it to your insurance, it will work out fine."

If the other person doesn't have insurance, just get as much information as you can. It wouldn't hurt to get some witness' names and numbers, too.

You can get a white sheet at any of the four police stations in Tulsa or any Quik Trip store. Or print out a copy from Fill it out and mail it in to one of the police stations listed below.

Tulsa Police Stations:

Mingo Valley Division
10122 E. 11th Street
Tulsa, OK 74128

Gilcrease Division
3436 N. Delaware
Tulsa, OK 74110

Riverside Division
7515 S. Riverside Drive
Tulsa, OK 74136

Tulsa Police Department Headquarters
600 Civic Center
Tulsa, OK 74103