Yahoo! Releases List Of Most Frequently Misspelled Searches
UNDATED -- With the 2010 Scripps National Spelling Bee taking place on June 4, Yahoo! has released some of the recent misspelled terms and names consumers are searching for on the Web.
The most misspelled word of 2010, so far? Eyjafjallajokull (Iceland Volcano)
What's in a name? That wasn't the only news event that has been a spelling struggle. People go back to the phonics standby to sound out the words they hear, and often mishear.
Sometimes, it's not just a misspelling, but a missed spelling.
Check out some recent confusions:
- "Gulf Oil Spell": for Gulf Oil Spill. (A fitting error for this roundup)
- "Poverty survivor": for Parvati Shallow, winner of "Survivor: Heroes vs Villains"
- "Aaron Andrews": for Erin Andrews, ESPN sportscaster & DWTS cast member
- "Goldman Saks or Goldman Sacks": for Goldman Sachs. (Either way, up for ironic interpretation)
- "Louie Vaton Purses": for Louis Vuitton purses
- "Crystal Bowersocks": for Crystal Bowersox, "American Idol."
- "Lost Series Finally": for Lost series finale
- "Facebokk": for Facebook
- "Wallmart": for "Wal-Mart"
- "Justin Beaver": for Justin Beiber
A few other interesting "spelling" related searches on Yahoo!:
Searches on Yahoo! for "dictionary with audio" are up 596 percent in the past 30 days.
The top searched dictionaries: Arabic dictionary, world dictionary, medical dictionary, Farsi dictionary, Latin-English dictionary, Korean-English dictionary,
Who searches the most for "spelling check" on Yahoo!: Females, they make up 73 percent of searches for "spelling check" in the past 30 days
Some of the top spelling questions on Yahoo! in the past 30 days
- "how do u spell dule" (duel)
- "how do you spell appreciate"
- "how do you spell congratulations"
- "how do you spell criticizing"
- "how do you spell guarantee"
- "how do you spell hallelujah"
- "how do you spell the color grey" (gray)
- "how do you spell truely" (truly)
- "how many ways can u spell tiara"
- "how to spell 12 in words"
- "how to spell sincerely"
- "how jake gillenhal"(jake gyllenhaal)
- "how spell knowledgable"