Monday, April 18, 2011 Is Deadline To Mail In Your Taxes
TULSA, Oklahoma -- State and federal income taxes are due at midnight.
Americans got an extra three days this year because of a federal holiday in Washington, D.C.
Even with the extra time, there are always people rushing at the last minute to beat the clock.
The U.S. Post Office is extending hours at the Tulsa International Airport postal station on North Cargo Road. This is the only post office in NE Oklahoma which will be open until midnight.
For last minute filers, here are some USPS mailing tips:
- Use First-Class postage.
- Use pre-addressed labels where possible. Write clearly. Take special care to ensure that handwritten envelopes are legible and include a return address.
- Affix sufficient postage. One ounce is 44 cents.
- Double-check postage. Weigh any return that feels heavier than one ounce. Tax agencies will not accept postage due mail. Tax returns bearing insufficient postage will be returned - meaning taxpayers may be penalized for filing late tax returns.
- Avoid the last minute rush at the post office. Mail returns in local collection boxes, but remember to make certain the posted pick-up time has not passed to ensure returns will have an April 18th postmark.
- For customers who send original receipts to tax agencies, Registered Mail is a good choice.
- Make certain bulky envelopes are securely sealed.
If you have any questions, you can call 800-ASK-USPS.