Strawberry Yum-Yum Dessert
1 yellow cake mix
1 (3.4 oz.) box strawberry gelatin
1 c. boiling water
1 c. strawberry flavored soda
1 c. milk
1 (3.4 oz.) box instant banana cream pudding mix
1 (8 oz.) tub whipped topping
Freshly sliced strawberries, to taste
Optional garnish: Fresh sprig of mint
1. Bake yellow cake according to package directions using a 9 x 13-inch pan; cool in pan 15 minutes, then use a skewer or the tines of a fork to poke holes at ½-inch intervals all over the cake.
2. Mix the strawberry gelatin with 1 cup of boiling water for 2 minutes or until completely dissolved; stir in the cup of strawberry soda. Slowly and evenly pour the mixture over the cake; cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight, if desired.
3. Mix 1 cup of milk with 1 box of instant banana pudding; stir until thickened. Fold in the whipped topping. Spread this mixture over the chilled cake.
4. Slice strawberries over the top, arranging in an overlapping fashion, if desired, or garnish each piece of cake with sliced strawberries. Enjoy!
5. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Yield: 16 servings
Kitchen Kimberley's Tips:
• The banana cream topping is also delicious without the cake! Enjoy it as a fruit dip for fresh strawberries or other seasonal fruits.
• The variations on this recipe are endless! Try white cake with orange gelatin and orange soda, then use cheesecake instant pudding mix for the topping; garnish with fresh or canned orange slices.
• Find more great recipes in my cookbooks! All three of my books are available on my website: www.kitchenkimberley.com