Smoking And Oxygen Combine In Tulsa Retirement Center Fire
TULSA, Oklahoma - About 60 residents of a Tulsa retirement center in the 10200 block of East 34th Street had to be evacuated from their homes in a fire Saturday night, according to the Tulsa Fire Department.
"The cause of the fire is believed to be smoking with oxygen in the room," said TFD Public Information Officer Stan May.
A man and woman living in an apartment at the Glenwood retirement center were taken to a local hospital with possible burns, May said.
An adult female was transported by EMSA in critical condition. An adult male was transported in serious condition.
One apartment was destroyed by the fire while several others suffered smoke damage.
Firefighters had to help residents - some in wheelchairs - escape from the fire, which was ruled accidental.