Valve Closed On Railroad Tank Car Leaking Acid In Sand Springs
SAND SPRINGS, Oklahoma - Firefighters stopped a small hydrochloric acid leak coming from a railroad tank car Friday morning near downtown Sand Springs.
Sand Springs Fire Chief Mike Wood said firefighters closed a pressure valve left open on the tank car parked near a railroad crossing on Morrow Road after a vapor cloud was spotted at 8:40 a.m.
Wood said Friday morning's warm temperatures caused a hydrochloric acid in the tank car to form a vapor cloud above the tank car.
Firefighters responded in full Hazmat gear and closed the valve.
Wood said there were no evacuations because the leak was small and was resolved rather quickly.
Morrow Road at the Sand Springs Railroad crossing was closed for about an hour.