Oklahoma Joe's Brisket Burnt Ends
1 Whole Brisket 12-14 lbs.
Joe's Original BBQ Rub
Joe's Steak and Burger Rub
Joe's BBQ Sauce
· Fire up your Grill/Smoker as per the instructions in the manual.
· Make sure to build the fire next to one side of the grill, or in the Firebox so that you cook with indirect heat.
· Trim brisket to have no more than ¼ inch of fat
· Liberally apply Original BBQ Rub and Steak and Burger Rub.
· Once charcoal is ready to cook on, add a few wood chunks to the fire.
· Cook brisket (unwrapped) at 250ºF to 275ºF using indirect heat and smoke for 4 hours flipping every hour. Make sure brisket is positioned away from the coal bed, near the smoke stack. Add charcoal and wood as needed to maintain cooking temperature.
· After brisket has cooked 4 hours, place brisket in foil.
· Continue to cook for approximately 3 hours at 275 to 300 degrees
· Pull brisket from cooker and let rest at room temperature for 1 hour before separating the flat and the point.
· Trim excess fat from the point, apply rubs and put back in smoker and continue to cook for 2 hours at 275 degrees.
· Remove point and let set for 30 minutes at room temperature.
· Cut point into 1” cubes and apply sauce on the burnt end cubes.
· Sauté the burnt ends at a high temperature until the sauce starts to caramelize.
· Remove from heat and serve with BBQ Beans and your other favorite sides
· You should also slice and serving the brisket flat. Slice against the grain for best results.