More Details Revealed About San Bernardino Shooting Suspects
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -
The FBI and police are searching the Redlands townhome tied to San Bernardino shooting suspect Syed Rizwan Farook. Late Wednesday night, police used a battering ram to enter the home and sent a robot in to sweep for possible explosives.
Police have identified Farook, a 28-year-old American citizen born in Chicago and employee with the San Bernardino County Department of Health, and Tashfeen Malik, a 27-year-old female who is Farook's wife, as the two suspects involved in the shooting.
Police said Farook was at a holiday banquet with coworkers before leaving abruptly and returning with his wife. Shortly after, shots were fired.
"I am in shock that something like this could happen," said Farook's brother-in-law, Farhan Khan.
12/2/2015 Related Story: 14 Dead In San Bernardino Shooting; 2 Suspects Dead
Khan told CBS News that Farook and Malik were married for two years and had a 6-month-old child, who they left with Farook's mother.
At a press conference with local Muslim leaders, Khan offered his condolences to the families of the victims and expressed his disbelief.
"I have no idea why would he do that? Why would he do something like this. I have absolutely no idea," Khan said.
Farook and Malik were killed in the police pursuit that ended in a shootout.
A federal law enforcement official tells CBS News both were dressed in tactical clothing, armed with assault rifles, and each had multiple magazines of ammunition attached to their clothing. Police also discovered handguns in their SUV.
Investigators are tracing the weapons to determine if they were legally purchased, and if so, where and when. So far officials have confirmed at least two were bought legally.
Law enforcement officials do not have a motive yet, but say they are not ruling out terrorism. Police say they are confident the two suspects killed were the only shooters involved.