Hazmat Team Responds To Mercury Spill At Sapulpa High School
SAPULPA, Oklahoma - The Sapulpa Fire Department's hazardous materials team responded to Sapulpa High School Tuesday morning after two students were found playing with mercury.
Sapulpa Police Major Mike Reed said the mercury was spilled in one of the science labs.
Assistant Superintendent Johnny Bilby said two students had been playing with a small amount of mercury - about the size of a dime. They've both been sent home with their parents.
Bilby said they quickly got the students out of the lab and cordoned it off until a remediation crew could arrive. In addition to cleaning up the lab, the crew will also test the air.
The school is still investigating how the mercury got to campus, the assistant superintendent said.
"We checked with our science teachers, and there was no experiment or anything like that with mercury - so we believe that a student did bring it in," Bilby said.